I'm not directly involved with scheduling thankfully, but we have had
quite a few systems including excel, calendars, etc.

One we are trying now is https://www.schedulesource.com/

It is definitely not polished and suffers from feature bloat but the
bloat is kind of what people wanted to try. It lets people enter their
availability and preferences and also allows you to set up rules (how
many shifts/hours/weekends certain labor groups can do, etc). It will
then autofill schedules for you which you can then manually tweak.
Also allows individuals to trade shifts within the rules you set up.
About a million other features though after the initial learning it
was easy for people to ignore everything else and get used to their
workflow.

I'm sure there are better things out there depending on your
requirements but for our schedulers initial requirements this has
worked better than previous systems at least.

Eby