I run the techie side of http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/ and we use
dc.subject:

(*) We ask for at least three depositor-supplied keywords

(*) When a depositor uses creative spelling in any of the
depositor-supplied fields, we add standard spelling as a dc.subject

(*) When any field uses non-English language terms we add an English
term as a dc.subject

(*) When any field uses English language terms to refer to non-English
subjects, we add a dc.subject with the native-language term

(*) We have some hacky stuff in vuwschema.subject.* which the DSpace
development team have told use to keep hacky while they migrate to
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/ in the next couple of releases.

We'd love to have the resources to do proper subject classification,
because it would be a huge enabler of deep interoperability.

cheers
stuart

--
Stuart Yeates