Hi Folks!

If there are any women students on this list that live in the Chicago area,
check out this event UIC is putting on this week -- it'll be a great intro
to open source.

Those of you who aren't students, please feel free to spread the word!

Rosalyn

---------------

On Wednesday, September 25th and Thursday, September 26th, OpenHatch
<http://openhatch.org/>and UIC <http://www.cs.uic.edu/>’s Women in Computer
Science are hosting an open source software immersion event for women in
the Chicago area. We invite you to join us! You can sign up here:

http://chicago.openhatch.org/

Wed 9/25 is the tutorials day: you'll learn about version control, how open
source projects communicate, the history and ethics of open source, and
hear from professionals who contribute to open source in their day jobs in
a career panel.

Thu 9/26 is the projects day: you'll work hands-on with mentors to select a
task in an open source project that you can fix and contribute a change to
that community. (Maybe you'll even decide to keep working with them
afterward!)

And throughout both evenings we'll feed you, get to know you, and talk with
you about opportunities for students in open source.

You don’t need to be a programmer to contribute to open source, or to
attend and enjoy our event. Most open source projects are also in need of
designers, translators, documenters, bug-finders and testers.

Open source software -- software that is shared freely and available to
build upon -- has become part of our daily lives. Popular projects like
WordPress, Firefox, Adium, and Ubuntu have millions of users. Open source
participation is one way to gain real-world skills and make connections
that will last you through your career. Volunteer staff will include
professionals and academics who use open source daily.

The event is open to all women students in the greater Chicago area.