And my biggest question is how one with such a template could import the "logic", the rules behind a format. For instance how you handle a query that according to the format says: if the date of publication is not stored in the i.e. --1 field, then get it from the --2 field...

Thank you both for your answers

________________________________
 Απο: Marc Chantreux <[log in to unmask]>
Προς: [log in to unmask]
Στάλθηκε: 6:18 μ.μ. Τρίτη, 24 Σεπτεμβρίου 2013
Θέμα: Re: [CODE4LIB] New perl module MARC::File::MiJ -- marc-in-json for

hello Ross and many thanks for replying,

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 08:47:19AM -0400, Ross Singer wrote:
> In this array of arrays approach, where the tag name is just another value
> (as opposed to a key), you cannot take advantage of JsonPath, thereby
> eliminating almost any possible way of querying this data in those
> databases.

I have to admit MARC::MIR is so easy and fast to use from indexed flat
files so i never felt the need of Json KV storage for the moment.

Also: when i need to expose data for end-users, i use MARC::MIR::Template so
a MARC::MIR like this:

- [001, PPNxxxx ]
- [200, [ [a, Doe], [b, john], [b, elias], [b, frederik] ]]
- [200, [ [a, Doe], [b, jane] ]]
- [300, [ [a, "i can haz title"], [b, "also subs"] ]]

with a template like this:

001: id
200: [ authors, { a: name, b: firstname } ]
300: { a: title, b: subtitle }
700: [ auth_author, { a: name, b: firstname } ]
701: [ auth_author, { a: name, b: firstname } ]

will give me a structure like this (which i think is much simpler to
query because end users aren't used to MARC grids):

authors:
    - { name: Doe, firstname: [john, elias, frederik] }
    - { name: Doe, firstname: jane }
title: "i can haz title"
subtitle: "also subs"
id: PPNxxxx

But yet, i fully understand the leading ideas behind marc-mij.

thanks again
marc

--
Marc Chantreux
Université de Strasbourg, Direction Informatique