From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ray Matthews
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Bestpractices] A Utah welcome to the 2013 Best Practices Exchange

Salt Lake City welcomes you to the 2013 Best Practices Exchange, November 13-15, 2013.

Best Practices is a misnomer for our conference.  At least that's my personal take on BPE.  It's really an annual meeting for airing missteps, mistakes, and yes, successes on the road to developing those elusive best practices for managing digital information.  NPR aired a review this morning of Leah Hager Cohen's I Don't Know: In Praise of Admitting Ignorance (Except When You Shouldn't) [listen at http://www.npr.org/2013/09/18/223402246/dont-know-just-admit-it]<http://www.npr.org/2013/09/18/223402246/dont-know-just-admit-it%5D>.

BPE is a lot like that.

I've shared things at BPE that have worked for us and things that haven't. I've come back and instituted things that have failed (like our state metadata standard and z-tokens (remember those?).  We've also learned about and implemented tools that have been a success (like Washington State Library's Find-It search engine and the Internet Archives' Archive-It service).  I've sat at the feet of experts like Eliot Christian (search/web services), Timothy Cole (OAI-PMH aggregation), and Larry Jackson (open source harvesting) and have been enlightened, dumbfounded, and humbled all at the same time.

At every single Best Practices Exchange that I've attended I've come back with either a partnership, a business deal, or a new network of colleagues whose brains I continue to pick for ideas.  And then there are the intangibles like learning from Daniel Cornwall how to crack open a lobster!  Whether it's been a wine and cheese social in Phoenix, karaoke shenanigans in Springfield, or dinner on the beach in Wilmington, every BPE has resulted in cementing life-long friendships.

There's still time to submit a session proposal (http://www.bpexchange.org; we've extended the deadline to September 30th) and hotel reservations can be made at http://www.radisson.com/saltlakecity/BPE.

This year's BPE, in the home of the Sundance Film Festival, offers a special treat with a seminar on digital film preservation from our keynote speaker, Milt Shefter of the Academy of Motion Pictures.

So please, do come out west to beautiful Salt Lake City and share with us what you've been doing.

 [cid:[log in to unmask]]
Ray Matthews
Government Information Coordinator
Utah State Library
250 N. 1950 W. Suite A
Salt Lake City, UT  84116-7901
801.715.6752<tel:801.715.6752>
http://publications.utah.gov<http://publications.utah.gov/>
Please note: Starting Tuesday, September 6, 2011, our agency hours will be 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday