>   2.  Fixity trade offs decision tool. Given different systems, different
> kinds of content, different scales of content etc. there should be
> different approaches to the frequency of fixity checking. There is interest
> in developing some kind of grid, or decision tree that could help orgs
> decide the best approach to how frequently to check the fixity of their
> content.

It seems to me that 2 is the logical foundation for 1. That is -- one
should have a desired strategy for fixity checking in mind before
developing guidance aimed at helping those new to the area to implement
such a strtagey.

> Anyone interested in number 1 specifically or number 2?  Should we start
> on both and see how it breaks out?
> For number 2 were a number of ways we could break this out and look at it,
> or rather a number of parameters to frame it.  Here are the ones listed
> above:
>
> System type
> Type of content
> Scale of content (not sure what this means)
> Frequency based on those factors
> Any others?

(I'm not sure what is meant by "system type". )

My hypothesis is that the factors that drive an appropriate choice of
strategies are:
     - number of objects in collections
     - number of collections
     - size of objects
     - willingness to accept risk of loss ( or alternatively, budget --
 which will indirectly bound risk acceptance)
     - content  type / structure
     - trust model

Based on these factors the strategy at the "leaf" nodes of the tree might
involve recommended combinations of parameters :
      - compression algorithm, number of replication, fixity computation
algorithm, verification algorithm, verification frequency, repair frequency

best,

Micah

Karen

> write to: mailto:
> [log in to unmask]<javascript:;>
> or click the following link:
>
> http://list.digitalpreservation.gov/scripts/wa-DIGITAL.exe?SUBED1=NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE&A=1

Micah Altman, Ph.D. <http://micahaltman.com>           Twitter: @drmaltman

Director of Research -- MIT Libraries; Head/Scientist, Program on
Information Science
Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
"Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate" - Doctor Invincibilis
(Corollary, "Ad indicia spectate.")