Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for my delay in getting this going.  Since there were a number of you interested, I figured I'd just use the list serv for the project work.  We can use regular phone calls too if there is nothing else going on during that month.

Lets start with the notes form the call:  Most of the participants on the call were interested in either or both of these issues.

  1.  Getting started with fixity practices. This could, for example, work through the each of the 4 fixity levels in the NDSA levels of digital preservation. The goal here would be to work through how to get started, different kinds of approaches and tools you can use to establish your workflows.
  2.  Fixity trade offs decision tool. Given different systems, different kinds of content, different scales of content etc. there should be different approaches to the frequency of fixity checking. There is interest in developing some kind of grid, or decision tree that could help orgs decide the best approach to how frequently to check the fixity of their content.

Anyone interested in number 1 specifically or number 2?  Should we start on both and see how it breaks out?
For number 2 were a number of ways we could break this out and look at it, or rather a number of parameters to frame it.  Here are the ones listed above:

System type
Type of content
Scale of content (not sure what this means)
Frequency based on those factors
Any others?

Karen