Subject: [NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE] Fixity check project
From: Karen Cariani <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, September 19, 2013 1:37 pm
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for my delay in getting this going. Since there were a number
of you interested, I figured I'd just use the list serv for the project
work. We can use regular phone calls too if there is nothing else going
on during that month.

Lets start with the notes form the call: Most of the participants on the
call were interested in either or both of these issues.

 1. Getting started with fixity practices. This could, for example, work
through the each of the 4 fixity levels in the NDSA levels of digital
preservation. The goal here would be to work through how to get started,
different kinds of approaches and tools you can use to establish your
workflows.
 2. Fixity trade offs decision tool. Given different systems, different
kinds of content, different scales of content etc. there should be
different approaches to the frequency of fixity checking. There is
interest in developing some kind of grid, or decision tree that could
help orgs decide the best approach to how frequently to check the fixity
of their content.

Anyone interested in number 1 specifically or number 2? Should we start
on both and see how it breaks out?
For number 2 were a number of ways we could break this out and look at
it, or rather a number of parameters to frame it. Here are the ones
listed above:

System type
Type of content
Scale of content (not sure what this means)
Frequency based on those factors
Any others?

Karen

write to: