I agree that the user ids can be helpful. VIVO has an available harvester
tool which is designed to find citations for a given author from PubMed,
but in testing we did at the University of New Mexico (I'm still there for
a short time until moving on to OU) we didn't find it to be terribly
effective. Not surprising, given the limits of PubMed entries. I like Ken
Varnum's answer . . . you really need robust faculty buy in. I personally
keep a running tally of publications and presentations on my website so
that I have a single, master list. I may use Zotero as well, but I always
know that my website will have everything. Getting faculty to use a central
database for that sort of thing, much less getting them to enter prior
publications, can be like herding cats, however. One thing that could make
it easier; make any central repository compatible with RIS or BibTeX files
so that researchers can export anything they have in a citation manager and
load those prior publications en masse. One of the many things that is less
than optimal about VIVO is that, when I used it, I had to enter
publications, laboriously, one at a time.

Best regards,

*Jason Bengtson, MLIS, MA*
Emerging Technologies/ R&D Librarian
University of New Mexico
Health Sciences Library & Informatics Center
MSC09 5100
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Tel: (505) 272-0645