When I check Adobe's site, I see that "All Adobe products enforce the
restrictions set by the permissions password. However, if third-party
products do not support these settings, document recipients are able to
bypass some or all of the restrictions you set."
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/X/pro/using/WSD012A4E1-51D1-4bcd-BA9F-EF03C6F20BB6.html

I would be interested to know whether anyone has a good alternative PDF
editor to Acrobat Professional.  My hunch is that an app for editing PDFs
is most likely to have a high level of functionality, because someone
handling PDFs on a desktop will just get Acrobat Professional.

-Wilhelmina Randtke