Sure, apologies for out-of-the-blue questions.

Well, a faculty member approaches the repository with their CV and asks us
to investigate all their publications to see how much of their work we can
deposit. They list their patents as part of their scholarly output on their
CV. My understanding is that by virtue of having a patent, they hold the
copyright to that intellectual property, and since they produced it in an
educational institution, we are free to capture their work in an IR.
However, that would depend on what the details of the patent granted
include, which is there the communication with the faculty member has to
happen. Am I off the mark here? I found a couple of patents in arXiv and
wanted to see how others treat these types of documents.

Thank you!
L.