To summarize options:

   - Linux VM in VirtualBox (ubuntu, fedora, centOS, etc.)
   - Groovy (dynamic JVM language) is an excellent cross-platform option,
   one I use daily.  Especially if you are coming from a Java background.
    The Groovy web framework comparable to rails is "Grails".

Packaging in Ruby is one of the worst downsides of an otherwise compelling
language, and getting it onto Windows is more than I would bother with.

If you are doing Groovy, I'd still develop it on linux (for ease of
integration with various documentation and tutorials, and of course
personal preference).

--Joe