Hi Allie,

We have a database that we maintain of our ft faculty publications.
Like others have mentioned, this is not any easy thing to maintain and
depends upon the scope of the project.  We only collect ft faculty
publications.

We have an MS Access backend and then use asp to pull the citations
for display in various places on our website.  We went with that
because I was already running various access databases on our website,
and it was easy for me to set up.

You can see it here:

http://www.dowling.edu/library/facultybib/searchpubs.asp

I've got our faculty pretty much on board with getting me their
citations after several years, but there are things you can do to get
buy in.

One of the biggest selling points for us has been that accrediting
bodies, like NCATE, want to see faculty publications.  Our faculty
also have to submit a yearly self evaluation and cv, so I usually time
a call for latest publications right after that is due.  They already
have the info compiled, so it's easy for them to share at that point.

The hardest thing will be the initial data entry.  For that, we
initially had web- based forms that I had several librarians working
with me to use.  Now, I do all of the maintenance.

Laura Pope Robbins
Associate Professor/Reference Librarian
Dowling College