Hi all,

I was the lead developer for BibApp at UW-Madison.  BibApp is a neat tool
and worth consideration for Ruby/Solr folk.

However, the project lost momentum at UW because we could not capture
enough data to approach faculty expectations that the database be _truly
comprehensive_.  We harvested citation data via APIs, collected paper CVs,
brokered our way into obtaining copies of annual merit review exercises,
but still we could not capture enough publication data.  Ultimately, seeing
the amount of staff cost for data collection, for building a
non-comprehensive tool, the library decided to back away.

In the sciences you'll have far better luck, but in the humanities it's a
complete mess.  Good luck finding citations for all the public radio
appearances the Chair of the English department expects to see on their
profile...

It's an unwinnable war.  I still cry at night.

Cheers,
- Eric