On Oct 28, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Matthew Sherman wrote:

> We use DSpace for our repository so any editing to the PDFs have to be done
> in Acrobat before uploading.  I can add a note to the metadata in DSpace,
> but I am not sure if that fulfills the permissions agreement.  I was
> recently hired for this position so I do not know who provided us the file
> to upload in the first place.  That is why I am asking if anyone else has
> dealt with this since I am unsure if I can ever get the password.

I'm not an IR person, but I know that PDFs are effectively a container.

It *might* be possible to create a PDF that had a page w/ the notice, then
insert the locked PDF.

A quick search on the topic suggest there might be problems ... I don't
know if it the default of a locked document is to not allow it to be
inserted:

	http://forums.adobe.com/thread/874857

(the last suggestion was trying it as an attachment, and no follow up
after that)

-Joe