I think we need to be careful about our terms and legal jurisdictions here.

When Lydia wrote "by virtue of having a patent, they hold the copyright
to that intellectual property", she may be referring to the texts of the
patent application, not the patent (idea) itself.  Copyright law in
various countries may extend to the text in a patent application
separately from any patent rights (a different type of intellectual
property) granted if the patent application is accepted.  See, for
example, a discussion of this in US copyright law:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_on_the_content_of_patents_and_in_the_context_of_patent_prosecution
.

Since Lydia is working in Canada, she'll need to check on Canadian
copyright law to see whether it extends to the texts of patent
applications.  If not, she can reproduce the texts of patent
applications as she pleases since they're in the public domain.  If so,
then she'll want to check whether the researcher's institution claims
copyright over all of the patent applications listed on the CV or, more
likely, only those applied for while working at the institution and
using institutional resources.  Then she'll want to archive the
appropriate ones.

All that said, some patent offices make all patent applications
available on their website anyway, and Google scoops up many of them as
well: https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/2539193?hl=en .  So if you
trust that they will be available in the future through at least one of
these channels, you might not bother archiving any patent applications
in your IR.

--Kevin