**Overview:**

We are hiring!

**What we are looking for:**

Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail

Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code.

Passion for standards-based web development and polyglot programming.

Obsession with software scalability and performance under high loads.

Love for using and contributing to open-source software.

Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.

We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable web developer. A person
passionate about polyglot programming, web technologies, database development,
RESTful APIs; often things that have not reached mainstream, yet. We are
looking for a person who both learns fast, but can also figure things out
independently and show us better ways for building complex, highly scalable
systems on the web.

Currently we are obsessed with Lean product development, responsive design,
document databases, RESTful / Hypermedia APIs and machine learning. What will
tomorrow bring? We would like to figure that out together, if you join us.

**Why work at NPR matters:**

A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning
news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of
independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value
information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility - our employees
do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and
digital media to product design and software engineering. Every day our
employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.

_Essential Duties Include:_

Web Developer is primarily responsible for contributing to the creation,
modification, and implementation of custom web applications and APIs within
NPR Digital Media. Responsibilities also include assisting in the daily
operations and maintenance of all of NPR Digital Media's systems and
applications and assisting in the design and implementation of software
products that address current and future requirements of NPR Digital Media.

**Qualifications:**
The exact title and level (e.g., II, III, IV) of this position will be
determined based on the selected candidate's experience and skills

_Basic skills required:_

  * Fluency in LAMP stack: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
  * Fluency in HTML5/CSS3, including media queries and Responsive Web Design techniques.
  * Fluency in writing functional Javascript code, not limited to jQuery programming.
  * Extensive experience working with content-management systems (preferably: popular open-source ones such as: WordPress or Drupal).
  * Ability to work in Unix command-line over SSH terminal.
  * Experience working with a version control system (SVN or Git preferred).

_Bonus Points for:_

  * Every additional programming language and framework you are fluent in.
  * Significant contributions to open-source projects
  * Mad Node.js skills
  * Addiction to writing code in Test-Driven Development style.

**What else?**

  * We are a very Mac-friendly group, if that's your kind of thing.
  * We are diverse, lifelong learners and read omnivorously from NPR's giveaway book shelf, regularly walk down the hall to Tiny Desk Concerts, tell coding jokes and edit bad grammar on milk cartons
  * We are a friendly bunch and expect the same from you, too

Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.

If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview
process. If you're checking out technical or digital roles, here are some
additional things you should consider about what you'll experience at NPR.

NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package
including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance
programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is
an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Keep up with us on Social Media on: Facebook at This Is NPR, Twitter at
@NPRjobs, YouTube at NPR Life - as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes'
tweets from our colleagues.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10280/