Yep, what Bill said, I have had thoughts of extending it to other types
of input too, it was part of my original design goals.

In particular, I was thinking of extending it to arbitrary XML.

Unlike MARC, there are many other options for indexing XML into Solr
(assuming that's your end goal), so you may or may not find traject to
be better than those, although for myself there might be some benefit in
using the same tool accross formats too.

There are a number of built-in 'macros' that are MARC-specific; you
wouldn't use those. And might need some others that are, say,
XML-specific. (Probably just a single one, extract_xpath, for XML).

Same could be done for MODS, sure -- or you could handle MODS with a
(hypothetical) generic XML setup.

But yeah, if you want to take input records, and transform them into
hash-like data structures -- I was thinking from the start of
structuring traject to support such use cases, yep. (If you want to go
to something other than a hash-like data structure, well, it might still
be possible, but it's straying from traject's target a bit more).

[Oh, and I just made up 'traject'. I was looking for a word (made up or
real) not already being used for any popular software, and thinking
about 'projections' in the sense of mathematical transformations; and
about 'trajectory' in the sense of things sent through outer space, with
the Solr/Solar connection. I actually had originally decided to call it
"transject", but then accidentally wrote "traject" when I created the
github project, and then figured that was easier to pronounce and write
anyhow.]