Organizationally, this person or team should be afforded a little bit of autonomy from the other departments. Design committees--especially in higher-ed--are power struggles, and it benefits no one when the user-experience people/person can be pressured into bad design decisions.

Oh, and pay them well :) :) :).

// Michael!

I write about the web and front-end librarianship at www.ns4lib.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ken Varnum
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Usability Person?

We are exceptionally fortunate to have a 3-person User Experience department to support the developers who work on the website, the catalog, the digital library, and the repository.
http://www.lib.umich.edu/library-information-technology/user-experience-department

--
Ken Varnum | Web Systems Manager | MLibrary - University of Michigan - Ann Arbor [log in to unmask] | @varnum | http://www.lib.umich.edu/users/varnum |
734-615-3287