It is nice to see a growing appreciation for UX in our domain.  Michael,
librarians ARE users, but I understand what you're saying in that
they've had too much influence, and have unfortunately brought bias to
the design process that has created obstacles for other users.

Andrew, your original post focused on a Usability person.  The way I see
it, Usability skills are a subset of User Experience.  If you can hire
two people, awesome.  If I had to choose one, I would go for a User
Experience person. It is at least one full-time job, ideally of higher
rank due to its "big picture" nature.  I like the idea of a usability
committee or working group, with the UX expert as a chair.

Below are a few skills/abilities of my ideal User Experience Designer.
It's unlikely you will get them all in one candidate, but it may give
you an idea of which niches you need to fill, given your current team:

* Creativity and Audacity *
Design is inherently mixed with organization and culture, and in order
to solve design problems they have to be willing to rethink and change
long-standing traditions and culture.  This person can question
EVERYTHING without being abrasive.

* Diplomacy and Influence *
You can't do the above without being good at building relationships,
forming consensus, negotiating, etc.  Ideally the position would have
enough power in the org to be at the table for major decisions, but then
again, influence does not always come from hierarchical rank.

* Usability Interviewing, Testing, and Analytics *
Understanding, empathizing with, and advocating for ALL the users of
your systems is critical, and collecting data to form and back up your
arguments is a prerequisite. UX people have to talk to users about their
goals, test ideas with prototypes, and collect and interpret
stats/analytics. Testing is not only about whether a feature could be
improved, but whether it should be there at all.  This person can
identify and prioritize the right problems to solve.

* Visual Thinking/Literacy *
The person should have a good design sense, and be able to put the
elements and principles of design to work in the idea pitch, information
architecture, and design process.

* Content Strategy *
What is the overall vision of the org and how is that message delivered?
  What message is currently being delivered via neglect of an overall
strategy?  The lack of a content strategy is one reason why so many
library websites are filled with pages that are piles of links.

* Interaction Design *
In libraries, where budgets can be an issue, this person should be able
to put together wireframes, prototypes, and final HTML/CSS/JS designs.
As Tom mentioned, this could be an entirely different, more technical
position, but it's a great asset if you can find it.

-Shaun
P.S. - Don't feel tied into current position titles. Google has an "Über
Tech Lead for Search Quality and User Happiness"!

--
Shaun Ellis
User Interface Developer, Digital Initiatives