On Oct 25, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Alevtina Verbovetskaya wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Does your library maintain a database of faculty publications? How do you do it?
>
> Some things I've come across in my (admittedly brief) research:
> - RSS feeds from the major databases
> - RefWorks citation lists
>
> These options do not necessarily work for my university, made up of 24 colleges/institutions, 6,700+ FT faculty, and 270,000+ degree-seeking students.
>
> Does anyone have a better solution? It need not be searchable: we are just interested in pulling a periodical report of articles written by our faculty/students without relying on them self-reporting days/weeks/months/years after the fact.

If you're forced to rely on self-reporting, one of the solutions
that I've seen is to add a few more features and introduce it as a
'CV Builder' or some sort of 'Faculty Directory' ... so the faculty
members get some benefit back out of it, and it's more public so they
have an interest in keeping it updated.

I'd also recommend talking to the individual colleges -- it's possible
that some of them already maintain databases, either for the whole
college or at the departmental level.  They might be willing to keep
the data populated if you provide the hosted service.

(and the tenure-track folks have a vested interest in making sure
their records kept up-to-date).

In looking through the other recommendations -- I didn't see ORCID or
ResearcherID mentioned ... I know they're not exhaustive, but it might
be possible to have a way to automate dumps from them -- so the faculty
member keeps ORCID up-to-date, and you periodically generate dumps from
ORCID for all of your faculty.  The last time I checked it, ORCID
found all of my ASIS&T work ... but missed all of the stuff that I've
published in space physics and data informatics.  (admittedly, those
weren't peer-reviewed, but neither were most of the ASIS&T ones)

-Joe