I saw a presentation on the HKU development of a Current Research Information System on top of their DSpace repository (http://hub.hku.hk/) that, among many other things, does a good job of collecting publication information through harvesting with ORCID ids, etc. They are releasing the code as a module to add on to DSpace (http://cilea.github.io/dspace-cris/). It is probably more of a long-term solution than what you are thinking about now, but it may be worth looking at.
- Daryl