My understanding of VIVO is that it's more of the "faculty profiles" application, and that you still need a source of publications data in order to populate that portion of each faculty member's profile. With VIVO (and certainly with other faculty profile applications), I believe this is typically done through a mix of manual data entry and harvesting / autoloading from open (Pubmed) or commercial services (Syndetics, Thomson Reuters, etc.). The harvesting & autoloading introduce issues of deduplicating citations (when they may come from more than one source) and disambiguating authors. I.e., it's messy.

If someone feels like their institution has nailed this problem, I'd sure like to hear how they did it.

- Tom