On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Dan Eveland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So, by diversity you mean every single type of person except white male
> that believes they are actually male. Is that accurate? So... diverse
> except for one category specifically excluded through these rules.

With regards to the scholarships, diversity is not a context-free word.
 It's specific to the Code4Lib conferences, which are predominantly
attended by white men.  Adding more white men would not make the
conferences any more diverse (which is the goal of the scholarships).

> Perhaps it would have been more efficient to list who cannot get the
> help they need.

 "Help they need" is another matter.  Perhaps there should, in the future,
be some economic-based scholarships in addition to the diversity
scholarships.  The number of scholarships this year is much larger than in
past years (in fact I think it surprised the planning folks).  If that
continues into the future, there may be cause to look at broadening the
types of scholarships offered (that's just my opinion).

Kevin