Hugh, I don't think you're in the weeds with your question (and, while I
think that named graphs can provide a solution to your particular problem,
that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't raise more questions or
potentially more frustrations down the line - like any new power, it can be
used for good or evil and the difference might not be obvious at first).

My question for you, however, is why are you using a triple store for this?
 That is, why bother with the broad and general model in what I assume is a
closed world assumption in your application?

We don't generally use XML databases (Marklogic being a notable exception),
or MARC databases, or <insert your transmission format of choice>-specific
databases because usually transmission formats are designed to account for
lots and lots of variations and maximum flexibility, which generally is the
opposite of the modeling that goes into a specific app.

I think there's a world of difference between modeling your data so it can
be represented in RDF (and, possibly, available via SPARQL, but I think
there is *far* less value there) and committing to RDF all the way down.
 RDF is a generalization so multiple parties can agree on what data means,
but I would have a hard time swallowing the argument that domain-specific
data must be RDF-native.

-Ross.