Throwing in my two cents on the IIP Image Server. I've been using it on my
photos web site[0] for a while now and it works great. I was also happy to
see that there is a version that supports the International Image
Interoperability Framework (IIIF) API [1], which I was introduced to at DLF
by Tom Cramer and company. That would make you compliant with the Mirador
multi-windowing tool that he mentioned. Sounds like a win-win to me.
Roy

[0] http://FreeLargePhotos.com/  - sample:
http://freelargephotos.com/photos/000001/full.jp2/Roy+Tennant
[1] http://www-sul.stanford.edu/iiif/image-api/1.1/