We run into this problem fairly regularly, and in fact, ran into it on
Monday with ruby-marc.

The way we've traditionally handled it is to put our marc stream through
a cleanup preprocessor before passing it off to a marc parser (ruby marc
or marc4j).

The preprocessor can do one of two things:

   1)  Skip the bad record in the marc stream and move on; or
   2)  Substitute the bad characters with some default character, and
write it out.

In both cases we log the error as a warning, and include a byte offset
where the bad character occurs, and the record ID, if possible.  This
allows us to go back and fix the errors in a stream in a batch;
generally, the bad encoding errors fall into four or five common errors
(cutting and pasting data from Windows is a typical cause).

In either case, what we DON'T want is to halt the processing altogether.
  Generally, we're dealing with thousands, sometimes millions, of MARC
records in a stream;  it's very frustrating to get halfway through the
stream, then have the parser throw an exception and halt.  Halting the
processing should be the strategy of last resort, to be called only when
the stream has become so corrupted you can't go on to the next record.

I'd want the default to be option 1.  Let the user determine what
changes need to be made to the data;  the parser's job is to parse, not
infer and create.  Overwriting data could also lead to the misperception
that everything is okay, when it really isn't.

-- Scott

--
Scott Prater
Shared Development Group