When I first started working on marc4j, its behavior was to behave as
suggested here, ie. expect the records to be correctly formed in almost
every respect, and to throw an exception when an error was encountered,
it was done in a way that didn't even allow the processing to continue
with the next record, since the state of the Reader when the exception
was detected was inconsistent.

The approach that I took in creating the MarcPermissiveStreamReader was
to move as far as possible towards the other approach being suggested
here.  ie, flag the error, fix it as best that it can, and allow the
program to proceed on.  To this end, Marc4j has a ErrorHandler class
that tracks all of the errors it encounters as it is processing a
record.   The ErrorHandler is used by the MarcPermissiveStreamReader in
general as well as by the Marc8 to UTF-8 translation code to note what
errors were encountered, how severe they are, and a description of the
corrective action that was taken.

In our implementation at UVa these error messages are included in the
records that are built and sent to the solr index, so that they can be
later reviewed and (perhaps) eventually fixed.   I think at present our
index of 6.3M records has close to 600K records containing errors of one
sort or another.

-Bob Haschart