Center for Open Science Developers
Center for Open Science
Charlottesville

We are presently looking to hire about 3 new developers at the Center for Open
Science. This is a non-profit, tech start-up located in
Charlottesville, VA, and pay will be very competitive. We
are particularly seeking expertise in DevOps and a commitment to open source
software that makes scientific research better. See below
for full details.

Background

Develop exclusively free, open source software in the name of open science.

The Center for Open Science (http://centerforopenscience.org) is a funded non-
profit startup looking for OSS developers who are passionate about modern web
and API practices (and, ideally, science) with expertise across the web
development stack. Open source has changed how software development works, and
we want to apply the same principles to the sciences. Everything we develop is
exclusively free and open source (http://github.com/CenterForOpenScience).

Core Technologies

Python

Micro-frameworks (e.g., Flask)

Git

Javascript

Javascript Frameworks (e.g., Knockout)

No-SQL Databases (e.g., MongoDB)

API development

We are much more concerned about collaboration, passion, and ability than the
actual technologies you use. We believe that a great developer should be a
great developer in any language. We focus on Python in that Python developers
typically value readability and community, and we are missioned with
connecting and educating the open science and open source communities. The
Python community represents what an effective community should look like and
has strong ties to the sciences. As long as your values are aligned with
those, we want to hear from you.

Location

We're located in Charlottesville, VA and currently looking for candidates that
can relocate to the area. Charlottesville is well known for its history
(mostly Jefferson-related) and is situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge
Mountains, making for ample hiking opportunities for those that can suffer
being away from the internet--we (probably) won't count this against you. It
also has a number of mostly arbitrary accolades that can be found here
(http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=158). Other things we care
about: it has a burgeoning tech scene, is in the top 15 cities in the country
for restaurants per capita (lots of good food), and has a rich music/coffee
scene--much of which is located on the downtown mall, one of the country's
longest pedestrian malls.

Benefits

You'll be able to quickly try a lot of what Charlottesville has to offer as
the Center has prime office space downtown and caters two staff lunches per
week. We have dedicated parking, 27'' monitors in an open workspace with
floor-to-ceiling windows (private offices are not assigned, but used as-
needed), a stocked kitchen, white-board walls, 401(k), and
health/dental/vision insurance.

Applying

Please send a resume and cover letter explaining your background and interest
in the position to [log in to unmask] Send with the subject
heading "Developer." Questions about the position and COS are welcome. You can
also see more on GitHub.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10624/