I've had to do this with directories full of TIFFs a few times over the
years and finally wrote a script. I found that working with ImageMagick
alone really taxed the machine (may it's pulling all of the images into
memory or something?) and so it was more efficient to make a PDF of each
page and then use pdftk to string the PDFs together at the end.

https://gist.github.com/jpstroop/2956093

I'm not saying I'm proud of this, but it works, and could easily be
modified to work with JPEGs.

-Jon