c4l,
I was reminded earlier this week at DLF (and a few minutes ago by Tom
and Simeon) that I hadn't ever announced a project I've been working for
the least year or so to this list. I showed an early version in a
lightning talk at code4libcon last year.

Meet Loris: https://github.com/pulibrary/loris

Loris is a Python based image server that implements the IIIF Image API
version 1.1 level 2[1].

http://www-sul.stanford.edu/iiif/image-api/1.1/

It can take JP2 (if you make Kakadu available to it), TIFF, or JPEG
source images, and hand back JPEG, PNG, TIF, and GIF (why not...).

Here's a demo of the server directly: http://goo.gl/8XEmjp

And here's a sample of the server backing OpenSeadragon[2]:
http://goo.gl/Gks6lR

-Js

1. http://www-sul.stanford.edu/iiif/image-api/1.1/
2. http://openseadragon.github.io/