Eric, if you want to leap into the linked data world in the fastest,
easiest way possible, then I suggest looking at microdata markup, e.g.
schema.org.[1] Schema.org does not require you to transform your data at
all: it only requires mark-up of your online displays. This makes sense
because as long as your data is in local databases, it's not visible to
the linked data universe anyway; so why not take the easy way out and
just add linked data to your public online displays? This doesn't
require a transformation of your entire record (some of which may not be
suitable as linked data in any case), only those "things" that are
likely to link usefully. This latter generally means "things for which
you have an identifier." And you make no changes to your database, only
to display.

OCLC is already producing this markup in WorldCat records [2]-- not
perfectly, of course, lots of warts, but it is a first step. However, it
is a first step that makes more sense to me than *transforming* or
*cross-walking* current metadata. It also, I believe, will help us
understand what bits of our current metadata will make the transition to
linked data, and what bits should remain as accessible documents that
users can reach through linked data.

kc
[1] http://schema.org, and look at the work going on to add
bibliographic properties at
http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Main_Page
[2] look at the "linked data" section of any WorldCat page for a single
item, such
ashttp://www.worldcat.org/title/selection-of-early-statistical-papers-of-j-neyman/oclc/527725&referer=brief_results

--
Karen Coyle