Hi Bohyun:

I found the CSV module in Python to be surprisingly confusing when I
first encountered it, given Python's elegance in many other cases. The
Dialect thing drove me nuts at first!

Lots of other people have answered in bits and pieces in this thread,
including non-Python approaches, but here's what works for me (with
the single example row that you've provided):

import csv
with open('noid_refworks.txt','rU') as csvinput:
    with open('withid.txt', 'w') as csvoutput:
        csvinput.seek(0)
        reader = csv.reader(csvinput, 'excel-tab')
        writer = csv.writer(csvoutput, 'excel-tab', quoting=csv.QUOTE_NONE)
        for row in reader:
            row.insert(0, '')
            writer.writerow(row)

The two changes that I've made were:

1. Remove the dialect sniffer and provide one explicitly ('excel-tab',
which uses a tab-delimited format); with the single line example, my
sniffer kept thinking the dialect was comma-delimited, which was
_very_ confusing to me :)
2. row.insert(0, '') before writing the row to prepend an empty
element at the start of the list, instead of building a new list with
an explicit tab (which would end up having to be escaped, which might
be why it shows up as an L in your output)

This snippet works in both Python 2.7.5 and Python 3.3.3 for me.

Hope this helps,
Dan