Sr. Software Engineer
Proquest/ebrary
Palo Alto

ebrary is seeking a highly experienced server side engineer to join us in the
evolution and implementation of our core platform, as a member of our Core
Team. This position requires a great deal of technical experience and current
hands-on skills, including detailed design and coding. Much of what we do is
cloud-based and dependent on evolving infrastructure, so strong ability to
both adapt and contribute to change is of paramount importance. Fully Agile
processes govern our development and delivery cycles.

Our products support complex content aggregation, sophisticated business
models, streaming and download document delivery, and unique user interaction.
They are delivered as fully virtualized and cloud-based services with
particular emphasis on automated deployment and management techniques, rooted
in our core development processes.

Duties and Responsibilities:

• Develops the capabilities of ebrary's Core Platform to enable the business's
planned growth

• Develops and/or improves content 'ingestion, search and discovery' stack
that processes and transforms content and make them available for near real
time discovery.

• Collaborates with the other Architects and Director of the Core Team to
review technical requirements, and agree implementation plans and methods that
sustain a high level of innovation and flexibility.

• Collaborates with team members and and coordinates deliverables with Product
Management, sprint-by-sprint.

• Oversees delivery utilizing a diverse range of technologies and frameworks,
both open source and proprietary.

Qualifications:

• Bachelors' degree plus 5-7 years related experience, or equivalent
combination of education and experience.

• Current experience contributing to deep technology projects of strategic
significance, with active participation in Agile processes

• Experience working effectively in a team environment as a strong
collaborative player.

• Excellent written communication skills, including production of subsystem
overview documentation and designs.

• Able to listen and evaluate all opinions without bias, and contribute to a
common culture of excellence

• Experience in search technologies such as lucene/solr is a big plus

The Company:

ebooks are hot! Giant, scalable collections of ebooks are our business.
Integration with all the players is our game.

ebrary is a very successful content distribution and technology company with
significant market presence worldwide. With our technology, educational
institutions all over the world are providing student access to an ever-
growing distributed library of content, at fraction of the cost of acquiring
and maintaining physical documents. We are growing, and expanding into new
markets rapidly. None the less, innovation is our passion, and we keep it
focused.

We're over 12 years old, and privately held as a subsidiary of ProQuest, a
premier content and services company with "central to research" delivery
through academic and corporate libraries throughout the world. You can learn
more about us at http://www.ebrary.com andhttp://www.proquest.com

Other important information about this position:

• This position is located in the Palo Alto office and may be appropriate for
full or partial remote work, subject to approval.

• Occasional travel is required.

• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some
scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.

• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to
make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to
perform essential duties when possible.

The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the
multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general
overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the
nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10833/