Karen,

The URIs you gave get me to webpages *about* the Declaration of
Independence. I'm sure it's just a copy/paste mistake, but in this context
you want the exact right URIs of course. And by "better" I guess you meant
"probably more widely used" and "probably longer lasting"? :)

LOC URI for the DoI (the work) is without .html:
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n79029194

VIAF URI for the DoI is without trailing /:
http://viaf.org/viaf/179420344

Ben
http://companjen.name/id/BC <- me
http://companjen.name/id/BC.html <- about me