When we have patrons that try to download tens or hundreds of thousands
of pages -- not uncommonly, the vendor has software that notices the
'excessive' use, sends us an email reminding us that bulk downloading
violates our terms of service, and temporarily blacklists the IP address
(which could become more of a problem as we move to NAT/PAT where
everyone appears to the external internet as one of only a few external
IPs).

Granted, these users are usually downloading actual PDFs, not just
citations.  I'm not really sure if when they are doing it for personal
research of some kind, or when they are doing it to share with off-shore
'pirate research paper' facilities (I'm not even making that up), but
the volume of use that triggers the vendors notices is such that it's
definitely an automated process of some kind, not just someone clicking
a lot.

Bulk downloading from our content vendors is usually prohibited by their
terms of service. So, beware.