> In general, people do not think very systematically nor very logically. We
> are humans full of ambiguity, feelings, and perceptions.... If we — as a
> whole — have this difficulty, then how can we expect to capture and encode
> data, information, and knowledge with the rigor that a computer requires...

Life is analog and context dependent so the hopeless inconsistency normally
found in metadata outside controlled environments should be expected.

Given how difficult it is to get good metadata from people for things they
know well and care about a great deal (how many people do you know who
don't have trouble managing personal photos and important files?), I
wouldn't hold my breath that there will be much useful human generated
metadata anytime soon. Despite their problems, heuristics strike me a
better way to go in the long term.

kyle