Do you need OCR?
This script =>
http://bookscanner.pbworks.com/w/page/45609343/Homer%20bash%20script
will OCR a directory of TIFFs (using Tesseract) and build a PDF using
Tesseract.

It's a little old, but I still use it pretty much every day. I think you'll
need to have Ruby 1.9 installed, since the PDFBeads library uses Hpricot.

There's lots of Document View/Book Widget/Page Turners...the Internet
Archive one is good. I also really like the NYTime Document Viewer (
https://github.com/documentcloud/document-viewer ). The DocumentCloud
people also have something to rip your PDFs apart and put them into the
viewer ( https://github.com/documentcloud/docsplit )