> It is sad to me that converting to PDF for viewing off the Web seems like
> the answer. Isn’t there a tiling viewer (like Leaflet) that could be used
> to render jpeg derivatives of the original tif files in Omeka?

This should be pretty easy. But the issue with tiling is that the nav
process is miserable for all but the shortest books. Most of the people who
want to download want are looking for jpegs rather than source tiffs and
one pdf instead of a bunch of tiffs (which is good since each one is
typically over 100MB). Of course there are people who want the real deal,
but that's actually a much less common use case.

As Karen observes, downloading and viewing serve different use cases so of
course we will provide both. IIP Image Server looks intriguing. But most of
our users who want the full res stuff really just want to download the
source tiffs which will be made available.

kyle