I'm not sure that I agree that RDF is not a serialization.  It really
depends on the context of the system and intended use of the linked data.
For example, TEI is designed with a specific purpose which cannot be
replicated in RDF (at least, not very easily at all), but deriving RDF from
highly-linked TEI to put into an endpoint can open doors to queries which
are otherwise impossible to make on the data.  This certainly requires some
rethinking of the way texts interact.  But perhaps it may be best to say
that RDF *can* (but not necessarily) be a derivation, rather than
serialization, of some larger, more complex canonical data model.

Ethan