On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hmm, this sounds weird to say, but it never occured to me that most students
> would start from the institutional home page, or really ever visit the
> institutional home page at all. Largely because most institutional home
> pages are nearly useless for current affiliates of the institution, but are
> instead perhaps marketting brochures for prospectives.
>
> I wonder how many students or other current affiliates actually start at
> institutional home pages how often.

At both institutions I've worked as a librarian, one a major
university system and the second, a community college, the emphasis
has always been to start from the college's landing page and go
forward to find information and then, department landing pages are
introduced as alternate option. So I've always assumed this is how
_all_ institutions work. However, my experience may be limited as
these are the only two institutions I've worked at as a librarian.

-Lisa