Hi Roy,

iPython is huge at UC Berkeley and it's creator, Fernando Perez is
part of the team that will be launching the Berkeley Institute for
Data Science, which incidentally will be based in Doe Library when it
opens in a few months. Here's a blog post about the project:
http://blog.fperez.org/2013/11/an-ambitious-experiment-in-data-science.html

Also of interest, my colleague Raymond Yee uses iPython when he
teaches his Open Data class in the UC Berkeley School of Information.
The class actually publishes their final projects in iPython Notebook
format. You can seem their work here:
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/fperez/blog/blob/master/130507-Berkeley-iSchool-OpenData.ipynb

I'm sure there are other cool examples of how it's being used in
teaching and science. Seems to me like something that's going to be
around for awhile, but admittedly, my perspective is from iPython
ground zero!

-Harrison