Date:    Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:28:14 -0500
From:    Sarah Shealy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Code4lib 2014 Diversity Scholarships: Call for Applications

It's honestly too late this year to change the entire scholarship system. I
don't disagree that it would be awesome to have scholarships for everyone
who has some sort of economic need, and this is a conversation that should
be had. But there's a lot that goes into opening something up based on
economic status, and while that work would be valuable and awesome, it's a
little late in the game for 2014. There's also the consideration of when to
offer both gender and need-based scholarships, since the number of
scholarships are variable and if there are only two to be awarded then the
historic trend of ethnic/gender based awards should probably be carried
forward. Or not.

I would like to point out that for a lot of white men working in the tech
field, going to a local user group or conference is an easy thing and you
get to see people like you who do the things you do. I had to go to Chicago
last year (I live in SC - and I was a scholarship recipient) in order to
see women doing the same thing that I do. And it was pretty awesome. So I
would vote for always having the ethnic/gender based scholarship simply for
the connection it can give people - it honestly isn't something that be
described. I went from having no cultural touchstones in this area of my
life to having several.

Hopefully this will help turn the tide from "rabble rabble rabble" to
thinking about ways to add to the system - not just overhaul the whole
shebang. I would suggest that some of you who are upset about how things
are run sign up for the Scholarship Committee next year and do some work
from the inside. Because, again, you should have raised your concerns
before we sent out the call. The scholarships happen every year.

Sarah
--
Emily Lynema
Associate Department Head