On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Joshua Welker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You could do all this with Javascript and not have to worry about mucking
> around with wwwoptions or any of that messy stuff. Just create a static
> JSON or XML file in the webpac directory containing a list of all the
> classification names and their associated call number ranges (as detailed
> or as general as you want it to be). Write some Javascript code that looks
> at each call number on a page, matches it to a LC classification name
> based on your definitions file, and then append that name next to the call
> number (or wherever you might want it).

This is certainly a desirable flow, but how would you append it to the text
without any access to the routine that renders the results table? I haven't
worked with Mil for awhile, but when I did, there was no way to insert
arbitrary code into a results window so the workarounds all involved
javascript hacks or proxying a vanilla scope which could be rendered as
desired.

Again, I don't think call number is a good thing to build a discovery
function around even if it's not a horrible tool for certain tasks such as
describing collection use or composition at a macro level.

kyle

kyle