DTDs and XML namespaces don't like each other very much. I think you're
getting into trouble because your DTD doesn't allow the two
namespace-declaring attributes on the "thesis" element. Try adding this to
your DTD:

<!ATTLIST thesis xmlns:xhtml CDATA #FIXED 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'
                 xmlns:html CDATA #FIXED 'http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40'>

You're still going to be faced with a number of validity errors, but I
think most of them are self-explanatory (e.g., you have multiple
"linebreak" elements where your DTD only allows one). Some of these have to
do with validity against your DTD and others are related to HTML validity.

Ron Gilmour
Web Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library