How did you fix the ampersands? I ask, because if you just did a simple
text transform from & to &, it would mask the problem of the entity
escaping I think...

Not at work, so I don't have a good example and the file is downloading
very slowly here, so I'll try to do one from memory.

There were several á in the XML which mapped to an accent character
in the DTD via the Entity.

If you just substituted & with &, you'd get á, which would
render inline as &accute;. It would superficially solve the issue since
browsers would no longer give the errors about the dtd since it wouldn't be
trying to load entities from the DTDs. And depending how you did it, you
likely could also replace a correctly encoded one to make &,
leading to some very odd stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised to find some unescaped ampersands, but the solution
I posted will essentially replace the entities with their text, hopefully
causing most characters to appear correctly. You definitely still need to
fix some of the other stuff. (I suspect it never worked for most browsers
and XML systems, most likely only IE).

Jon Gorman
University of Illinois