I would have to agree with this where the data exists. The data captured by
digital cameras these days can be incredibly extensive and thorough. Given
this, I recently started exposing this data for all of the 8,000 photos I
now have on my photos web site http://FreeLargePhotos.com/ . There is now a
link on the page for an individual photo that a user can click on that will
pull out the data dynamically from the image file and display it in plain
text. Here is a random example:

<http://freelargephotos.com/photos/003171/exif.txt>

The tricky bit is of course where the photo is actually scanned from a
slide, which of course plays havoc with items such as the creation date. So
depending on the exact situation your mileage may vary, but the basic
principle stands -- if you can allow a machine to capture the metadata then
by all means let it.
Roy