If the size you want is just a bit smaller than a size offered by a
service, you can simply deliver it in an HTML img tag that has it's size
set to what you want (with CSS is the best way), and it'll be more or
less fine.

You could also software on your end to resize the images to be somewhat
smaller or larger than what you get from the service. Resizing to be
larger may involve loss of image quality.

I don't know of any free book cover api that resizes images for you to
your specifications, they all only offer images at certain sizes. I
don't know about the commercial services like syndectics etc.