There are plenty of non-free API's, that need some kind of access
control. A different side discussion is what forms of access control are
the least barrier to developers while still being secure (a lot of
services mess this up in both directions!).

However, there are also some free API's whcih still require API keys,
perhaps because the owners want to track usage or throttle usage or what
have you.

Sometimes you need to do that too, and you need to restrict access, so
be it. But it is probably worth recognizing that you are sometimes
adding barriers to succesful client development here -- it seems like a
trivial barrier from the perspective of the developers of the service,
because they use the service so often. But to a client developer working
with a dozen different API's, the extra burden to get and deal with the
API key and the access control mechanism can be non-trivial.

I think the best compromise is what Google ends up doing with many of
their APIs. Allow access without an API key, but with a fairly minimal
number of accesses-per-time-period allowed (couple hundred a day, is
what I think google often does). This allows the developer to evaluate
the api, explore/debug the api in the browser, and write automated tests
against the api, without worrying about api keys. But still requires an
api key for 'real' use, so the host can do what tracking or throttling
they want.

Jonathan