Salvete!

> While it's a really good idea to make sure your library's website is
> prominent on your institution's page (because I think that does send a
> strong signal, even to students, that your library is important to your
> campus), the really big question is how easily your students will be able
> to find your web page by googleing "University X Library", or
> "University X
> JSTOR" or "University X Ebsco."

    ++ to this section of your argument. Kids today and their Google machine. My alma mater not only comes up first, the flavours of Library are all right there. UIUC++.

> When a student has an assignment and their professor tells them they have
> to use "the library", they'll probably Google you - they won't
> try to
> navigate links from the university web page.  I agree with Cary that your
> *current* students/users will probably not be going that route. So ensuring
> your page and its content is easily Google-able and search-engine optimized
> (and not hidden behind a portal!) is key.

    I do still think that time well spent in layout, organisation, and navigation is time well spent. This is true in especial when I find meself trapped in the jungle with only a touch to see me through. Having the user go back to Google every time they think up summat new does *not* save their time. I cannot count the number of times I have to perform some sort of arcane ritual to naturally find the hours and location of whatever thing I'm looking to find in meatspace. If I *know* that I'm visiting the right website to find certain information and I can't manage to find it within the page, I'm pretty sure that Karen Coyle can hear me sigh and see me facepalm. Looking at you irritating town website, looking at you.

Cheers,
Brooke